Windows Update “Error Code- 0x80240017” is associated with the printing problem on your Windows 10 computer. If you see this error message on your computer, it is probably due to MS Office update not being installed on your computer. But there is no need to worry. Follow these simple solutions and the problem will be solved in no time. But before opting for the bigger solutions, try the simpler ones.
1. Restart your computer and then try updating it further.
2. Disable any third-party antivirus or security software installed on your computer.
If restarting or disabling the antivirus didn't help at all, follow these fixes:
Fix-1 Try the Windows Update Troubleshooter-
Windows Update Troubleshooting You can determine the update problem on your computer and fix it.
1. After clicking on the Windows icon, click on the gear icon to open Settings.
2. Then select "Update and security"Setting.
3. Next, click on “Solve problems".
4. Then you need to click on "Additional troubleshooting tools".
5. When the list of additional troubleshooting tools appears, click "Windows update".
6. To start the troubleshooting process, "Run the troubleshooter".
When the troubleshooting process is complete, close the troubleshooting window.
Restart your computer.
Fix-2 Rename folder SoftwareDistribution-
Renaming the Software Distribution folder on your computer will definitely solve this problem. Follow these steps carefully:
1. What you have to press Windows key With 'R'and then type "cmd".
2. Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the System Symbol file with administrative rights.
3. First, type the first command there and then press Log in. This way, run this set of commands and then hit Log in.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
4. These commands will change the name of both folders on your computer. Run these.
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 catroot2.old
5. All that's left to restart those broken services. Like this, copy paste these commands one by one and press Log in after each of them to execute these commands on your computer.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
The interrupted services will be restarted.
Once all the commands are running on your computer, close the System Symbol window.
Restart the computer and after restarting the computer checks for updates once again.
Fix-3 Update Windows Update AutoUpdate Client-
1. Press Windows key + X keys together and then click "Windows PowerShell (administrator)". This will open the Shell Power Window file with administrative rights.
2. Execute this single line in the PowerShell terminal. To do it copy paste o generally this command and then press Log in.
After doing that, close the Shell Power window.
Restart your computer and check if the Windows Update process is working or not.