How to backup your Gmail account. If you want to create a backup on Gmail, you have many approaches at your disposal. You can use Google's native tool, rely on a third-party app.
How to backup Gmail with Google
Google's native tool is effective if you are satisfied with a ZIP file of all your emails in the MBOX format.
Oddly, Google's native tool isn't even found within Gmail. Instead, you'll need to log into your Google account on.
- Once logged in, use the panel on the left side of the screen to access Personal information and privacy> Control your content.
- In the Download or transfer your content , find the box Download your data and click Create archive .
- Google allows you to select the apps to include in your archive and, if necessary, allows you to select specific data in each app using the drop-down menu.
- We're only interested in Gmail backup, so click Select None at the top of the screen, then scroll down and slide the switch next to Gmail. You can download all your email data or use the drop-down menu to select specific labels.
- When you are ready, click on NEXT . You will need to decide whether you want the backup in ZIP or TGZ format, the maximum size for your archive and how you want to receive the backup (email, Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive).
- Finally, click Create archive.
If you want to backup your contacts in VCARD, HTML or CSV format, you can use the steps described above and slide the switch next to Contacts before creating the archive.
How to backup Gmail with programs for Windows and Mac
UpSafe is an easy to use Windows app. It is completely free.
Download the app to your computer and you'll be able to schedule backups, archive mailboxes, manage backup history, and filter your emails so you only back up the content you want.
Download: UpSafe (free)
Mail Archiver X
If you are a Mac user, the best tool at your disposal is Mail Archiver X.
It is a set-and-forget-about-it app, which means that once you have it up and running for the first time, it will continue to make backups according to your schedule.
Features include one-click archiving of individual emails, multiple export formats (including PDF), and support for Gmail, Exchange, Apple Mail, Eudora, Outlook, Entourage, Powermail, Postbox, and Thunderbird.
You can take advantage of a 12-day free trial version by Mail Archiver X. It includes all the features of the full app, making it perfect for a one-time backup.