Electronic mail, in English e-mail (electronic mail), is an Internet service with which you can send and receive messages using your computer, smartphone or tablet.
The number of e-mail accounts is increasing and will continue to increase, especially due to the use of e-mail accounts on smartphones and the greater diffusion of Webmail-Cloud Mail services.
In addition to the positive aspects of this indispensable feature, there are also the less sympathetic ones:
in fact, it often happens that you have to check countless accumulated e-mails: professional communications, corporate communications, but also obsessive advertising campaigns, hacker e-mail activities and viruses, in half of the cases spam.
Then there are the so-called Phishing a type of scam that is carried out through deceptive e-mail messages for which, by entering your confidential data, you can face further risks.
Therefore, beware of emails with attachments, especially .exe, .dmg, .java, .js and .vba files, and suspicious links. It is advisable never to open attachments of this type that come from unknown senders or senders of dubious origin.
Given all this, we come to the topic if we receive unwanted emails in the inbox, it is possible to block the sender, unsubscribe from the emails or report the message.
We will therefore explain how to block the receipt of unwanted emails through the main Webmail clients, such as Outlook and Gmail, or by using programs for managing emails.
Block emails on Gmail
With Gmail, you have two options to block unwanted emails, mark an email as junk (quick method) or set a filter for specific incoming emails (advanced method).
For both choices:
- log in to your e-mail account with the.
- To mark an email as junk:
- enter your login credentials,
- open an email that comes from one of the addresses that send unwelcome messages,
- click on the three vertical dots symbol (top right),
- in the menu that opens select the item Block [sender],
- confirm the operation by clicking on the Lock button in the box that appeared in the center of the page.
To create a filter and preemptively block unwanted messages:
- click on the gear symbol (top right),
- go to the Gmail account settings,
- tap on View all settings,
- select the Filters and blocked addresses tab on the new page,
- click on Create a new filter (further down),
- in the opened box, write the email address to be blocked in the From text field,
- click on the item Create filter at the bottom right,
- tick the Delete box,
- click on the blue Create button.
You can also filter messages by choosing other parameters:
- Contains the words,
- It does not contain,
- Dimensions and more.
To clear the filter and unblock previously blocked senders.
- go to the Settings menu> View all settings> Filters and blocked addresses of the Gmail account,
- delete the previously set rule.
Block emails in Outlook
Microsoft's Webmail service also offers the possibility of blocking:
- enter the login data of our Microsoft account,
- right click on the message from the unwanted address,
- select the items Security options> Lock in the menu that opened,
- block the dubious address by clicking the OK button from the displayed pane.
Another thing you can do is create rules. That's how:
- choose a message that comes from the address we want to block,
- click on the (...) button (top right),
- click on Create rule from the opened menu,
- select the folder to automatically move unwanted messages (eg junk mail), using the appropriate drop-down menu,
- click on the OK button (twice in a row).
With Other options you can also create filters based on other parameters:
- Keywords etc.
To delete a previously created rule:
- go to Outlook.com settings by clicking on the gear icon (top right),
- click the entries View all Outlook settings> Mail> Rules,
- click on the trash can icon corresponding to the rule to be removed,
- click on the OK button from the new box.
How to block unwanted emails on Libero
With a Libero account, to block unwanted e-mail messages, you can act by blocking the sender of our interest or by creating a rule with a special function.
- login to the account from,
- click on the Mail tab at the top left,
- open the message from the sender to be blocked,
- press on item (≡) Other actions (above),
- tap on the items Block sender and Block.
To create filters:
- open a message from the sender to be blocked,
- launch the More menu located at the top,
- select the item Create new filter,
- assign a name to the filter you create, using the Rule name text field.
With the Conditions section:
- define the conditions that must occur to block messages from a certain address,
- click on the item Add a condition,
- select the option that interests us,
- associate the action that the filter must perform to the condition,
- click on the item Add an action (eg Move to folder),
- click on Save at the bottom right.
How to block unwanted Yahoo emails
With a Yahoo! Mail, there is a special function with which you can block unwanted messages.
- log into our Yahoo! from the ,
- open a message from the address to be blocked,
- click on the Spam button.
This way all emails from that address will automatically be moved to spam.
To completely block the receipt of emails from a specific address:
- click on the gear symbol (top right),
- select the item (...) Other settings,
- in the new window click on Filters (on the left),
- write in the text field Add new filters,
- fill in the form displayed on the right with the information necessary to have unwanted messages blocked,
- use the text fields and menus in the sections, Filter name, Set rules,
- Choose a folder to move to,
- click on the Save button to save the filter.
How to block unwanted emails on clients
Using Microsoft Outlook, unwanted e-mail messages can be stopped with a special function.
After starting the program and finding one of the unwanted messages:
- right click on it,
- from the new menu select the items Junk mail> Block,
- go to the Home tab,
- click on the button (...) at the top right,
- select the item Junk from the on-screen menu,
- click on Block sender.
To create rules:
- from the program Home, click on the (...) button (top right),
- select the item Rules,
- tap on the phrase Create rule ... from the new menu,
- we choose the rule from On receiving messages that meet all the selected conditions, for example From address, and Perform the following action (eg Move item to Junk E-mail folder).
To remove this rule and restore the default settings:
- go to the Home menu> (...)> Junk> Junk Email Options,
- click on the Blocked Senders tab,
- after selecting the address in question, click on the relative Remove button.
Windows 10 Mail
Windows 10 Mail, the pre-installed email client on Windows 10, does not have features to block unwanted email messages. If we use Windows 10 Mail, we can only act from the settings of the mail services added on the client, in the manner seen here.
Mac and Apple Mail, macOS 'default mail client, easily block unwanted messages.
In this way:
- from the Mail> Preferences menu (top left, in the macOS menu bar),
- select the Rules tab in the new window,
- click on the Add button,
- indicate the name to give to the rule in the Description text field,
- set the option all occur, using the menu placed between the items If and following conditions,
- set the drop-down menus in the first blue row to From and is equal to,
- write the email address to be blocked, with the text field next to it,
- set the drop-down menus in the second blue line to Move message and Junk mail,
- click on the OK button.
To remove the block:
- go to the menu Mail> Preferences> Rules,
- remove the rule.
The ability to block unwanted messages is also offered by Mozilla Thunderbird, compatible with Windows, macOS and Linux.
- open the program,
- click on the button (≡) located at the top right,
- select the items Tools> Message Filters,
- from the new window check that the email account owned by us is selected
- click the New button.
We need to give a name to the filter we are creating:
- choose the option Meet all conditions,
- in the first menu choose the Sender option,
- in the second, choose is to indicate the email address to be blocked with the appropriate text field,
- if we want, to operate the rule, we can also define other conditions.
- select the options Move message to and [Your email address> Junk mail] from the drop-down menus located under the heading Perform these actions,
- click on the OK button.
By clicking on the + button, you can enter other addresses to be blocked.
In case of second thoughts, you can delete an address from the list of blocked ones:
- go to menu (≡)> Tools> Program message filters,
- select the created rule delete it or check one of the addresses contained in it.
How to block unwanted emails on Android and iOS / iPadOS
On Android and iOS / iPadOS to block unwanted emails you need to access the web service version, follow the steps explained in this article, with the instructions already seen here.