Send an email by mistake? Don't panic - some email services allow you to unsubscribe from sending messages.
How to cancel sending an email in Gmail
Gmail offers an option that allows you to recall your sent messages as long as you are within a set time limit. Your email is put on hold and will not be sent until the time period you specify has passed. During this time, you can click an option to cancel sending your email in Gmail.
Here's how to set up this feature and use it in your Gmail account:
- Open Gmail.
- Click the gear icon at the top right and select View all settings.
- Click on the tab General up.
- Scroll down and find the option Cancel sending.
- Click the Send cancellation period drop-down menu and choose how long you want to keep your emails before they are actually sent. You can choose to delay your emails from 5 to 30 seconds.
- click on Save Changes below to apply the changes.
- To use the feature, compose a new email by clicking Write.
- Write the content of your email and hit Send as you normally would.
- A message that says Message sent will appear at the bottom of the screen. To cancel sending your email, click Cancel in the prompt.
- Your email will be canceled.
How to cancel sending an email in Outlook from the web
To cancel sending an email message in Outlook for the web, you must first enable the feature in Outlook settings.
- Go to the Outlook website and log into your account.
- Click the gear icon in the top right, scroll down to the bottom and select View all Outlook settings.
- Click on Mail in the left menu, then select Write and reply from the central column.
- Scroll down on the right panel until you see the option Cancel sending.
- Drag the slider in this section to specify how long you can cancel sending an email.
- When you're done, click Save.
- To use this feature, compose a new email in the Outlook web app and send it.
- A notification that says Submit will appear at the bottom of the screen. click on Cancel to cancel sending the e-mail you just sent.
How to cancel sending an email in Mailbird
Here's how to cancel sending an email in Mailbird.
- Start Mailbird and click on the three horizontal lines in the top left corner.
- Select Settings.
- Click on Composition / Write in the left sidebar.
- Scroll down in the right pane until you get to the section Submit.
- Drag the Cancel Send Period slider to the right and adjust the time.
- Click on the icon X at the top right to close the window.
- To try this feature out, compose a new email and send it as you normally would.
- You will see a message sending notification at the bottom. Click Cancel next to it to cancel sending the email.