There are many ways to download a Windows 11 ISO, and all of them are completely legal.
Getting a legitimate Windows 10 ISO was pretty complicated, and Microsoft has apparently learned its lesson with Windows 11. If you need the ISO for installation or repair purposes, it's really easy to download Windows 11 legally and quickly. You can download an ISO directly from Microsoft's website, through the media creation tool, or through a third-party downloader.
Here we show the three ways to download a Windows 11 ISO, whether you want to upgrade your PC or create a bootable drive.
How to download a Windows 11 ISO without the media creation tool
Microsoft's Media Creation Tool makes it easy to download the Windows 11 ISO. However, it's a Windows-only tool, so you can't use it to create a Windows 11 bootable USB on a Mac or Linux. It also involves downloading a separate tool and additional steps that you can avoid by downloading the ISO directly from Microsoft's website.
To download Windows 11 ISO without Media Creation Tool:
- Go to . The page lists more options for installing or creating Windows 11 installation media.
- Scroll down to the section Download Windows 11 disk image (ISO) .
- Click on the drop-down menu Select download and select Windows 11 (multi-edition ISO).
- Click the button Download to continue. The download page will load additional options.
- Click on the drop-down menu Choose one in the Select Protection Language section and select your preferred language.
- click on Confirmation to continue.
- Then, click the button Download a 64 bit and the download of the ISO file will begin. The ISO image is approximately 5,2GB in size, so depending on your internet speed, the download may take some time to complete.
How to download a Windows 11 ISO using Rufus
Rufus is a Windows utility for formatting and creating bootable USB flash drives. However, a lesser known feature of Rufus is its download function. You can use the tool to download Windows 11 and earlier versions of the operating system. Follow the steps below to download the Windows 11 ISO using Rufus.
- Go to .
- Scroll down to the section Download . Then, click the Rufus link to download the executable.
- Run the file Rufus to start the tool. click on Yes if requested by User Account Control.
- In the Rufus window, click the drop-down menu for the boot selection and choose Select disc or ISO image (select).
- Click the drop-down button next to the button SELECT and choose Download.
- Then, click the button Download and wait for the pop-up window to appear Download ISO image .
- In the new window, click on the drop-down list and select Windows 11 is preferably used for version .
- click on Continue and wait for the next option to appear.
- Click on the drop-down menu Release and select the latest build and click Continue .
- Then, select Windows 11 Home/Pro/Edu in the drop-down list Edition .
- Then, select your preferred language and click Continues.
- Select x64 like Architecture and click Download . If you want to download the ISO using a browser, select the appropriate option and click Download .
- Choose a download location on your hard drive and click Save .
That's all. Rufus will start downloading the Windows 11 ISO file to your PC. You can view the progress in the Status section.
How to download Windows 11 ISO using the media creation tool
Microsoft's Media Creation Tool is a multipurpose utility. You can use it to create a bootable USB flash drive or DVD, as well as to download a single ISO file to your hard drive. Follow these steps to download the Windows 11 ISO using the media creation tool:
- Open the.
- Click the button Download now in Create Windows 11 installation media to download the installation file.
- Run the file MediaCreationToolW11.exe and click Yes when requested by the AUC.
- In the window Configuration, click Accept to accept the terms.
- Review the selected language and edition. To change the option, deselect Use the recommended options for this PC and then make your selection.
- click on NEXT to continue.
- In the window Choose which media to use, select ISO file .
- click on NEXT .
- Select the location to download and save the file ISO . Make sure you choose a partition with enough storage space and click Save .
Your PC will now download the media creation tool. Once the download is complete, you can use the ISO to install to perform an upgrade or install Windows 11 on a virtual machine.