If the Windows 11 chat button isn't a welcome guest on your desktop, here's how to get rid of it.
If you recently upgraded your device to Windows 11, you might have noticed a couple of things: the Start menu is now in the center, and there are three new icons next to it: the Tasks view, widgets, and Chat buttons.
While the task view and widget icons are useful for most users, there probably aren't many Microsoft Teams Chat users out there. So, if you are not one of those, here are some ways to remove this unnecessary app from the taskbar.
How to hide the Chat button from the Windows 11 taskbar
The easiest way to remove the chat icon from the system tray is to turn it off.
To do this:
- Right-click on an empty section of the taskbar,
- then click the button Bar settings of the uses that will be displayed.
- A new window will appear Settings , with Personalization> Taskbar as a header.
- Under the elements area of bar of the uses , search for Chat .
- Click the scroll button on the right side to disable the icon.
- Once done, the Chat button on the taskbar will disappear.
While the Chat button will no longer appear on the taskbar, Microsoft Teams remains installed on your system. If you want to remove it altogether, you need to remove the app from Apps and Features.
How to uninstall Microsoft Teams from Windows 11
First, you need to:
- Open the menu Settings of your computer by pressing the keys Windows + I.
- Once the Settings window opens, go to App in the right menu.
- In the main window, click App and features.
- In the list of apps, search Microsoft Teams.
- Once found, click on the three button menu on the right side, then choose Uninstall.
- A small window will appear, confirming if you want to proceed with the removal of the app. Press Uninstall to continue.
- Wait for the uninstall process to complete. When finished, you will no longer find the Microsoft Teams app in the Apps & Features window.
The next step is to remove the chat icon from the system tray. To do this, go to the taskbar settings, then under the taskbar items, look for Chat. Click the scroll button to turn it off. You will no longer find the chat icon on the taskbar.
How to restore Microsoft Teams to the Windows 11 taskbar
If you've already uninstalled the Chat icon from the system tray but find you need it, it's easy to get it back. First, you need to go back to bar settings of the uses , then under the elements area of bar of the uses , search for Chat . On the right side, click the scroll button to activate it On .
The icon of the Chat it will reappear on the taskbar. Click to open the window Connect with family and friends at any time . Push the button Continue and Microsoft Teams will configure itself. Once done, the button will appear Start . You can then click on this and follow the next instructions to set up your Microsoft Teams account.