Multiple accounts are useful when you have multiple users on the same PC. Not only does it help you avoid interruption caused by an online administrator account, it also gives you some ease of privacy protection. However, if you feel you've reached a point where multiple accounts have outgrown their usefulness, you don't need to keep them.
In this article, we will look at the various methods you can use to delete user accounts in Windows 11.
How to remove user accounts in Windows 11
Before you start removing user accounts, it's essential to back up your Windows files. It is a good habit that you should do regularly; however, creating a Windows backup before removing a user account is critical in case something goes wrong.
You can store the backup wherever you want; your hard drive, external drive, or even the cloud. Here, we will store the backup on a USB stick.
To start with the backup, click on the search bar of the Start menu , type "control panel" and select the best match. Then follow the steps below:
- click on System and security .
- Then, click Backup and restore .
- Select Configure backup .
- Choose one backup destination and click Forward.
- Select Let Windows choose and click NEXT .
- Finally, click Save settings and backup
As soon as you do that, the backup process for the entire PC will begin.
Note: When creating a backup, always make sure to save the backup to a drive next to the one you have Windows installed on.
With a full backup in place, you can then move on to deleting your Windows user accounts, starting with the help of Windows Settings.
Deleting user accounts via Settings
You can delete multiple user accounts from Windows Settings. That's how:
- Go to the search bar of the Start menu , type “settings” and select the best match. Alternatively, you can press the Windows key + the shortcut I.
- Select Accounts> Family and other users .
- Choose the user account you want to remove and click Remove .
- Finally, click Delete accounts and data .
Do this and your user account information will be deleted.
Deleting user accounts via the control panel
If for some reason, the above Settings method doesn't help you solve the problem, you can use the Control Panel. Here's how to get started.
- Click the Start menu and open the Panel control .
- click on User Accounts> Remove User Accounts.
- Choose the account you want to remove and select Delete account .
- Finally, select Delete File> Delete Account .
Do this and your account and all files related to it will be deleted successfully.
Delete user accounts via command prompt
The command line is a text interface that is useful for running and managing all Windows programs from the ease of typing.
First, to launch the command prompt, go to the search bar of the Start menu , type “command prompt” and then run it as administrator.
Type the following command in the interface and press Submit :
It will show all the different user accounts on your PC. Choose the one you want to delete, type the following command and press Submit :
net user /delete
Here, replace with the account you want to delete. Follow the steps above and the account will be deleted immediately.