Windows 11 PC recovery usually requires an administrator password, but there are two ways around this restriction.
As a last resort, a factory reset can help you troubleshoot and improve your system's performance. However, to restore the PC to factory settings, you need to log into an administrator account. And sometimes, you have no idea what your admin account password is.
However, don't worry just yet; you can still factory reset Windows 11 without the administrator password. Let's look at the two ways you can bypass a Windows administrator password and reset your PC.
How to reset Windows 11 to factory settings from the login screen
You can easily restore your Windows 11 and Windows 11 computer from the login screen using the recovery options.
To factory reset Windows 11 without an administrator password:
- Turn on your PC and wait for the login screen to appear.
- In the lower right corner, click Options energy saving . It will show the Reboot and Shutdown options. Don't click yet.
- Press and hold the Shift key on the keyboard and click the button Restart . If necessary, click Restart anyway to force restart the PC. Release the Shift key when you see the “Please Wait” screen.
- Your PC will now reboot and enter the Windows recovery environment.
- On the screen Choose an option , click the option Resolution some problems .
- On the Troubleshoot screen, click Reset this PC
- On the Reset this PC screen, you will be presented with two options. The option Keep my files it will remove all third party apps and settings from your PC, but keep your personal files like documents, media files, etc. If you want to remove everything, select Remove everything.
- After that, you will be presented again with two options to reinstall Windows. If you select Cloud Download , Windows will first download the required operating system files and then perform a reinstall. Compared, local reinstallation it will use the existing system files from the device to reinstall Windows.
- To speed up the process, select Local reinstallation . If that doesn't work, you can use the option of download nel cloud .
- On the screen You are ready to reset this device , click here Restore to confirm the action and start the restore process. This process may take some time to complete, so leave the device idle and plugged into the power outlet.
If the restore process fails to request additional system files, use the cloud download option to restore and try again. This often happens if critical system files are missing from the existing Windows installation.
How to reset Windows 11 to factory settings using installation media
Using the Reset this PC option should help you bypass the Windows logon password and reset your PC. However, if that doesn't work, you can clean up the Windows OS installation using a drive.
That said, the clean installation of Windows will wipe the hard drive by wiping all data. Make sure you have a backup of all important data before proceeding with the steps below.
To clean the Windows 11 installation, you need an installation media. Next, create a Windows 11 bootable USB drive. Once the boot drive is ready, proceed with the steps below.
- Connect the Windows 11 installation media to your PC.
- Restart your PC and start pressing the key F8, F9 o Esc to open the boot menu . In the Boot menu, select the USB flash drive as the boot drive and hit Enter. If your computer does not support the boot menu, you will need to change the boot order by entering the BIOS or UEFI menu.
- So, in the window configuration screen , select your preferred language, time, currency format and keyboard layout.
- click on NEXT to continue.
- Then, click the button Install now
- On the page Activate Windows , click the link I don't have a product key.
- Then, select the Windows 11 edition you want to install. Otherwise, select the default option and click NEXT .
- Accept the terms and click Forward.
- The installation wizard will detect your existing Windows installation and offer you the updating . However, the update option will keep your apps, settings, and admin password. Then, select Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
- Select the installation drive and click NEXT . Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Windows will wipe the installation drive and install a fresh copy of the Windows operating system. After restarting, Microsoft will ask you to sign in with your Microsoft account to complete the installation.