Backup codes provide an easy way to get back to your Google account. They act as a last line of defense to log back into your Google account if you've lost your phone, can't receive messages from Google, or can't get a code from the Google Authenticator app.
You can also use them if you lose your security tokens. This allows you to recover your account without contacting Google, which is a very tedious process.
Here's how to create backup Authenticator codes on Google.
How to create backup authentication codes on Google
Creating backup codes on Google is a pretty straightforward process. If you've turned on XNUMX-Step Verification, follow these steps to create backup codes:
- Go to the The page and log into your Google account, if you haven't already.
- click on Safety in the left navigation panel.
- Scroll down to Access to Google and select Two-step verification . Google may ask you to enter your password.
- In the Add more second steps to verify yours identity, select Configure in Backup codes .
- Google will generate a series of ten codes to use. Select Download o Press and keep the codes in a safe place.
If you haven't set up XNUMX-Step Verification, the procedure will be slightly different. Follow these steps to enable two-step verification and generate backup codes:
- Go to . You may need to log into your account.
- Scroll down to Access to Google . If you have activated Use your phone to log in , you need to turn it off.
- Then, select Two-step verification . Google may ask you to enter your password for verification. If so, enter your password and click NEXT .
- click on Start .
- Select Continue on the next page.
- On the screen Add a backup option , select Use another backup option . Google will show you a series of ten codes that you can use to log into your account if you are away from your device.
- Select Press o Download and keep the codes in a safe place.
- When done, click NEXT and select Attiva to complete the two-step verification setup.
Working with backup codes is convenient since you don't need your phone with you for two-step verification. With a set of 10 codes, and with each code used only once, you can easily run out of them.
Thankfully, you can generate new codes anytime you want by going to the two-step verification page in your Google account. You can also view the codes by going to The my account> Security> Two-Step Verification and click Show codes under Codes of backup .