The Google Street View feature in Google Maps allows you to see the current street view of a location. Did you also know that you can travel through time using Google Maps Street View and view a location as it was in the past? Let's see how you can use Google Maps Street View to travel back in time.
How to view Old Street View images
Google updates Street View data at a set time for many areas. This way, it allows you to view older pictures of the places. However, please note that you can only use this time travel feature on Google Maps Street View on the desktop version.
- Open any web browser and go to.
- Enter a location you want to see how it looked in the past.
- You have to select the Street View icon for the location. For more accuracy, you can first click on the location, then click on the Street View icon. They both work the same way.
- You will see a circular arrow icon with the clock hands in the middle. In particular, you will not be able to see older images of each location. If it is available for that particular location, this icon will be displayed.
- Tapping it will bring up a timeline that you can scroll through to go back in time and view older images from the same place. Plus, you can switch perspectives and view updates as they occur.
- To view the image in full screen mode, simply tap the "Magnifying Glass" icon.
As mentioned above, this feature is not applicable to all locations. When it is available, you will see the time travel icon.