Modern apps are those apps you see in the Windows Store. You can download and install them on your device. You may want to install and update many applications on your device. And most of these apps, except a few, may not be used often. So, during installation, you may run out of storage space on your device. But you don't want to uninstall them too. This is what you can do. In Windows 10, you can decide where to store these apps on your device. This way you can move less frequently used applications to an external drive. This way, you can download as many apps as you want without having to worry about running out of storage. When you need to use that app, just plug in the external drive and you're good to go. In the first section of the post, read how you can install a new app in any location you want. In the second section, read how to move an existing application to a new location.
- Press the Windows icon and open settings.
- After opening Settings, click System.
- From the options on the left side of the window, click Storage. Have the external drive connected now.
- You can see an option The new applications will be saved in. Click the drop-down menu for this and change the storage location to the location of the external storage drive (drive G in the case I showed).
You may have already downloaded some apps to your device. If you want to change the location of already installed applications, you can move them to the selected location.
- Open settings followed by System.
- Click on App and features option.
- Then choose the application you want to move and click on it. You can see the Move option for that app appear. Click on Move.
- A small window appears showing the options for navigating. Select the destination you prefer. Then hit the Enter key.
- When you open the external drive, you can see that the application is stored in the folder WpSystem as shown in the image below.
Now if you have stored some of the apps in the default storage location and some of them on an external hard drive, you can see which app is where.
- Open settings.
- In Systemclick your App and features. Then click on the option Show apps on all drives On the left side. When selecting a drive, the applications stored on that particular drive will be displayed below. So if I need to know the apps on the external drive, I will have to click on JEET'S (G) and the apps on the G drive will appear.
Make sure the external drive is connected before trying to open an application you have stored on it.