Did you accidentally delete the Print to PDF option or did it disappear by itself? Don't worry, there are ways to bring it back.
The Print to PDF option in the Windows print menu allows you to save documents in PDF format. It's a handy way to convert your traditional word or other text document into a PDF. However, if you happen to accidentally delete the option or find it missing, it can be confusing as to how to get it back.
You can reset the Print to PDF feature from the Windows Features dialog. If that doesn't work, you can manually add it or reinstall the printer drivers. We have discussed all of these steps in detail below.
Add print to PDF using the Windows features dialog
Windows 11 and 10 come with a number of additional features known as Optional Features. Some of these features are pre-installed and some are available upon request which you can download and install as per your need.
If PDF printing is disabled on your PC, you can enable it from the Windows features dialog. Here's how to easily add or remove optional features in Windows in just a few clicks.
- Awards Win + R to open the dialog Run .
- Type Features optional and click OK to open the Optional Features dialog. Alternatively, you can also open it from Settings> Apps> Optional Features> Other Windows Features.
- In the window of dialog Enable or disable Windows features , locate Microsoft Print to PDF.
- Select Microsoft Print to PDF and click OK to install the feature.
- Once installed, click Close . Now check if the Print to PDF option has been reset in the printer interface.
If Microsoft Print to PDF was already enabled / checked, uncheck the option and click OK. This will prompt the operating system to successfully uninstall the feature. Once uninstalled, restart the Windows Features dialog and then enable the Print to PDF option to install the driver.
If the problem persists, disable the feature in the Windows Features dialog and restart your PC. After rebooting, open Optional Features and enable the feature again to see if this resets the Print to PDF option.
Add print to PDF using the Add Printer Wizard
Another easy way to restore the missing Print to PDF option is to add a new printer from Settings. When adding a new printer, you can select the Print to File option to add the Print to PDF option.
Follow these steps to manually add the Print to PDF printer:
- Awards Win + I to open Settings .
- In the left pane, open the tab Bluetooth and devices.
- Scroll down and click on the option Printers and scanners.
- Click on the button Add device in the upper right corner. Windows will automatically start scanning for connected printing devices.
- click on Add manually for option The printer I want is not listed.
- Select Add a local or network printer with the manual settings option in the dialog box Add printer .
- click on NEXT
- Select Use an existing door and then click the drop-down menu. Here, select File: (Print to file). If the Print to File option is missing or not working, try it PORTPROMPT (porta locale) o PDF (local port) . It also works with older versions of the Windows 10 operating system.
- click on NEXT .
- On the screen Install the printer driver, in Producer , select Microsoft . So, in the section Printers , select Microsoft Print to PDF.
- click on NEXT .
- Then, type in a name for your new printer or leave it at the default name and click OK per salvare I modified it.
- Then, open the Print interface and check if the Print to PDF option is available for use.
Disable and enable the Print to PDF feature using the command prompt
If you prefer to use the command prompt, you can use the Deployment Image Service Management (DISM) command line tool to disable or enable optional Windows features.
Follow these steps to install the Print to PDF feature using the command prompt:
- Awards Win + R to open Run .
- To type cmd , then press and hold the Ctrl + Shift key and click OK . This will open the command prompt as an administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command to stop the spooler service.
net stop spooler
- Once the services have stopped successfully, type the following command to disable the Print to PDF feature:
dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features" /NoRestart
- Once the Operation Complete message is displayed, type the following command and press Enter to re-enable the feature:
dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features" /NoRestart
- If installed successfully, you will see the message Operation completed successfully.
- You should now be able to save your documents in PDF format using the Print to PDF feature in Windows.
Reinstall Print to PDF using PowerShell
You can also enable the Print to PDF feature using the Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature cmdlet in PowerShell.
To reset PDF printing using PowerShell:
- Press the button Win on the keyboard to open Windows Search. Then type powershell , right-click Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
- In the PowerShell window, type the following command to disable the Print to PDF feature.
Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -online -FeatureName Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features
- Then, type the following command to enable Print to PDF using PowerShell:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -online -FeatureName Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features
- Once done, you will see the Online status as True and the RestartNeeded status as false.
That's all. Close the PowerShell window and start the document app. Awards Win + P to open the printer interface and you should now be able to access the Print to PDF feature. If not, perform a reboot to apply the changes and try again.
Use doPDF to save documents as PDFs
doPDF is a third-party PDF conversion app for Windows. It comes with a Microsoft Word add-in that offers PDF print integration for Office applications. But it's also compatible with other apps like your web browser and other document editors that offer printing capabilities.
It works similar to the native Print to PDF feature but opens the Save dialog in the app. From here, you can select the save location and save the file.
To save documents as PDF using doPDF:
- First, download the doPDF installer on your PC.
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Once installed, open the document editor or web browser to print the document.
- Awards Ctrl + P to open the print interface.
- click on Printer and select doPDF from the list of options.
- Then, click Press and the doPDF print dialog will open.
- Choose the location of the file and click OK to save the changes. In addition, you can change the file quality font options, set the default folder, and choose the post save action.