Many Windows 10 users report that they have encountered a problem with their printer. When they try to print something, they are asked "Another computer is using the printer". If you are facing the same problem, don't worry, there are solutions available to fix your problem. This problem occurs mainly due to outdated / incompatible printer drivers on the computer or when the Print Spooler service is not running on the computer. Follow these fixes to fix the problem. Before proceeding with repairs, try connecting the printer to another computer. Check if it works fine on another computer. If it works with another computer, look for these solutions.
You should try these initial solutions to solve your problem:
1. Try turning off the printer and then reconnecting it to the computer.
2. Check for pending Windows updates. If there are any pending updates, please update your computer. Check if your problem is solved.
If any of these initial workarounds didn't work, follow these solutions.
Solution 1: restart the spooler service on your computer
The error “Another computer is using the printer” could be caused by the Print Spooler service being stopped on your computer. To restart the Print Spooler service on your computer, follow these steps:
1. First, write "ServicesIn the search box next to the Windows icon.
2. Then click on "Services“In the search result.
2. In the services window, search for "Print spooler“Service in the service list.
The right mouse button on him "Print spooler"Service and clicks"Restart“To restart Print Spooler Service.
3. Close the Services window. Restart your computer.
After restarting, check if your problem is solved or not. If your problem is still not solved, look for solutions.
Fix-2 Updates the printer driver
The problem you are facing with the printer may be due to the out-of-date printer driver. You can update the printer driver by following these steps:
1. What you should do is write "Device administrator“In the search box.
2. Then click on "Device administrator“In the search result.
2. In the Device administrator window, look for "Print queues“From the device list, click to expand it.
3. Now from the drop down menu Schoose the printing device you are using. The right mouse button on it and click "Update Driver".
3. In the next step, choose the option "Automatically searches for updated driver software".
Wait until Windows finds the compatible driver for the printer driver, downloads and installs it. Like this, start again your computer.
Check if your problem is solved. If the problem persists, look for the next solution.
Fix-3 Set the printing device as default
“Another computer is using the printer” is causing your work to stop, perhaps because the printing device you are using is not set as the default printing device on your computer. To set the printer as the default printing device on your computer, follow these steps.
1. Digita “Printers and scannersIn the search box next to the Windows icon. Click on "Printers and scanners".
2. Now in the right pane, you will see the list of printers and scanners.
3. Deselect the box next to "Let Windows manage my default printer"option.
4. Now, from the list of printers, click on the printer you are using. Once you've done that, click "Manage".
(ONLY IF YOU ARE USING A CANYON PRINTER)
Canon printers will likely appear as two individual printers on your computer. One of the printers appears in the list with only the simple name and the other printer name will have a “-WS” (stands for Web Service) at the end of the name. If you are getting the error "Another computer is using your printer", it may be because you have set "-WS" with the Canon printer name as the default printer. For example, if you have a Canon Pixma printer connected, you will see these printer names in the settings window.
Canon PIXMA G4010
Canon Pixma G4010 WS
Simply select device without "-WS" (Example: Cannon Pixma G4010) on its settings page and follow the rest of the process.
5. Click on 'set as default“In the Manage Device Settings window.
Restart your computer.
Check if your problem is solved or not.
Fix-4 Restart your computer and printer
Turning off the computer and printer and reconnecting them may solve the problem. Restarting both the computer and the printer can restore the initial files and return the printer to default values.
1. To turn off your computer e to turn off your printer.
2. Unplug the computer and printer.
3. Wait 5 minutes. So, turn on the computer and printer. Connect the printer to the computer.
Try printing something. Your problem should be solved.