Windows Defender typically receives occasional definition updates automatically on Windows 10. Because this download and installation process takes place completely in the background, you don't need to pay attention. But sometimes you might see 'Windows Update does not updateerror message appeared in the Settings menu. Follow these simple solutions to easily fix the problem.
Fix 1: automate some services
Some services are essential for the WU service.
1. Digita “cmd“In the search box.
2. Next, right-click on “Command Prompt". To log in to the command prompt as an administrator, click the "Run as administrator".
3. After that, Write this code and then press enter to run it on your computer.
sc config wuauserv start=auto sc config bits start=auto sc config cryptsvc start=auto sc config trustedinstaller start=auto
After automating these four services, close the CMD terminal and restart the computer.
Fix 2 - Rename particular folders
Renaming a certain folder can help you solve this problem.
1. At first, you need to type "cmd“From the search box.
2. After that, right click over it "Command Prompt"And choose"Run as administrator".
3. To block some services, run these four commands. Copy paste and hit enter to run them all.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
4. For the main step, you need to rename two important files. To do this, run these two commands in the CMD window.
ren C: WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C: WindowsSystem32catroot2 catroot2.old
5. For the final step, you need to reset the blocked services. To do this, run these 4 codes in sequence.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Close the Command Prompt window.
6. Now, press the button Windows key together with the 'X'key.
7. Then click on “Windows PowerShell (administrator)“To access PowerShell.
8. When you have access to the PowerShell terminal, run this command by typing it and pressing enter afterwards.
Restart your computer to finalize this process.
Fix 3 - Windows Update Troubleshooting
If this problem occurs due to the Windows Update issue, this should help fix the problem.
1. Just type "Troubleshoot setup problems"
2. Then you need to click on the button "Troubleshoot setup problems".
2. When the Settings window appears, click the "Additional troubleshooting tools“To view more troubleshooting options.
3. Then click on “Windows update"Troubleshoot, followed by another click on"Run the troubleshooter".
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
5. Once the troubleshooting is finished, click on "Close the troubleshooter".
Restart the computer, if necessary.
This should fix the problem you are facing.
Fix 4 - SoftwareDistribution folder empty
1. Just press the button windows key and the 'io'key together.
2. Next you need to click on "Update and security".
3. Then click the "Recovery"
4. Subsequently, under "Advanced startup"Section, click"Restart now".
5. Once your PC restarts into Windows Recovery Environment, you need to click on “Troubleshoot".
6. Next, choose "Advanced options"Menu.
7. Just click on the "Startup Settings".
8. Finally, to successfully restart the device, click on "Restart".
9. Here you will find various possibilities of startup types.
10. Then press F4 from the keyboard to select the option that says "Enable Safe Mode".
Soon your computer will boot into safe mode.
10. Press Tasto Windows + R run Running.
11. To access the Download Folder file, paste this location and press enter.
12. Once you reach the SoftwareDistribution folder, remove everything from it.
Near File Explorer window.
Restart your computer. It will start normally.
Check if this is happening or not.
Fix 5: try to manually update Windows Defender
If the automatic update fails, you can update it manually.
1. In the beginning you have to search for "Windows security".
2. Then click on "Windows Security".
3. Once in Windows security, click on the "Virus and threat protection”Settings.
4. Scroll down and in the "Virus and threat protection updates" section, click "Check for updates".
5. In the Security Updates window, click "Check for updates".
Now just wait for this update process to complete.
Fix 6: Use a batch file to fix this problem
You need to create a new batch file and run it on your device to fix the Windows Defender issue.
1. Digita “Notepad“In the search box.
2. Click on 'Notepad“In high search results.
3. When the blank notepad appears on the screen, copy and paste this code.
cd %ProgramFiles%Windows Defender MpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate
4. Next, click the "Fillet"And then on"Save as ..."
5. Now, set "Save as type:" to "All files (*. *)".
6. Set the file name as "defenderfix.bat". Then click on "Save".
After saving the file, close Notepad.
7. Go to the location where you saved the "defenderfix.bat‘file batch.
8. Right-click the batch file, then click "Run as administrator".
This should fix the Windows security problem on your computer.
Fix 7: download the definitions by yourself
If nothing works for you, try downloading the definitions yourself.
1. Click the link below to start downloading the virus definitions.
Windows Security Antivirus Updates
2. Scroll down the web page until you see "Microsoft Defender Antivirus for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1".
3. Then, click the appropriate architecture on the right next to it.
(Example: if your system is a "64-bit" system, you need to click the "64 bit")
4. As soon as you have clicked on this, choose an appropriate download location.
5. Click on 'Save".
Close the browser window.
Open the download path.
6. Next, double-click the "mpam-fe.exe“Setup to run it.
Let me install the latest version of Windows Security on your computer.
Fix 8: Use the WSUS Offline Installer
You can use the WSUS offline installer to get Windows security definition updates.
1. At first, go to the WSUS Offline Update.
2. Click the "Download"Section.
3. Then you have to click on the button "Version“To start downloading it.
A zip file will be downloaded.
4. Go to the downloaded folder.
5. Extract the zip file to a location of your choice. Go to that location on your drive.
6. Now, double-click the "wsusoffline“To access it.
7. In the wsusoffline folder, double-click on "UpdateGenerator.exe".
8. Once the WSUS Offline Update opens, deselect all in “Windows 10 x86 versions” and “Windows 10 x64 versions”.
9. Now, check the "Include Windows Defender definitions".
10. Next, click on "Home“To start the process.
A terminal window will appear with details on the download processes in progress.
You just have to wait.
The definitions will be downloaded to your computer.
Close the WSUS installer on your computer.
11. Back in the wsusoffline folder, double-click on "Client" folder.
12. Inside the "Client" folder, double click on the "UpdateInstaller.exe".
13. In the WSUS offline update, check the option you want to install on your computer.
14. Next, click on "Home" to start.
This way you can fix the Windows Defender problem.